- Data Mining and Big Data Analytics
- Machine Learning and Information Retrieval
- Social Networking Analysis
- Computational Journalism
Clickbait Practice in the Media: The term clickbait refers to a form of web content that employs writing formulas and linguistic techniques in headlines to trick readers into clicking links, but does not deliver on its promises. Although media scholars and pundits consistently show clickbait content in a bad light, the industry based on this type of content has been rapidly growing and reaching more and more people across the world.
The growth of clickbait industry appears to have noticeable impact on the media ecosystem, as many traditional media organizations have started to use clickbait techniques to attract readers and generate revenue. The key purpose of this project is to systematically quantify the extents to which traditional print and broadcast media as well as the “unreliable” media use clickbait properties in contents published on the web.
- Mohammad Yousuf, Naeemul Hassan, Md Main Uddin Rony. Social Media as Source: A Large-scale Study of Mainstream and Unreliable News Sites. In Proceedings of the th Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) Midwinter conference, Oklahoma, USA, March, 2018.
- Mohammad Yousuf, Naeemul Hassan, Md Main Uddin Rony. Boon or Bane for Political Engagement: A Large-Scale Study of Normalization of Facebook. In Proceedings of the 68th International Communication Association (ICA) annual conference, Prague, Czech Republic, May, 2018. [Paper]
- Md Main Uddin Rony, Naeemul Hassan, Mohammad Yousuf. BaitBuster: A Clickbait Identification Framework. In Proceedings of the 32nd AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-18), New orleans, Louisiana, USA, February, 2018. [Paper]
- Md Main Uddin Rony, Naeemul Hassan, Mohammad Yousuf. Diving Deep into Clickbaits: Who Use Them to What Extents in Which Topics with What Effects?. In Proceedings of 2017 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM 2017), July, 2017. [Paper]
- Md Main Uddin Rony, Naeemul Hassan, Mohammad Yousuf. BaitBuster: Destined to Save You Some Clicks. In Proceedings of the 2017 Computation+Journalism Symposium (C+J2017), Illinois, October, 2017. [Paper]